Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Local Government and The Edge Orgamization

While most of the examples I thought of while reading Henderson's "The Edge Organization" were high-tech companies. I tried to think of ways that the platform model might apply in my field, local government.

I came up with this: Increasingly, small cities that are very good at a task are being paid by their neighbors to run theirs. So if Brookline had a great Park and Recreations department, Newton might outsource their Park and Rec department to Brookline. The same goes for schools, libraries, fire departments, IT functionality, etc.

This woks for the flexibility, modularity and core capabilities aspects, but I'm not sure if it fits with other concepts, like peer-to-peer networks.

Is The Edge Organization best at describing for-profit high-tech companies?

No comments:

Post a Comment