Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Finally, A Use for the iPad That I Can Get Behind

As tempting as the iPad is, I have a hard time getting my head around what I would do with it. I have a MacBook for my computing needs, an iPhone for calls and easy access to email, a ton of iPhone apps that I don't actually use, and my iPod just in case I need 3 days worth of music in my pocket. Aside from being smaller than my MacBook but bigger than my iPhone, I'm not really sure why I'd want the iPad--at least at this point in my life where I'm not traveling excessively, don't have a long commute where I'd want to read anything, and do like to have a bigger screen to do any school-related work.

But this article talks about a business use for the iPad that I find pretty cool--an electronic reservations and check-in system. Instead of handing me one of those pagers when I put my name on a waiting list at a restaurant, they can input my phone number and send me a text when my table is ready. Or when I show up at an event, the person at the door can search for my name and check me in--no lists, no paper, no tickets. As someone who has manned the door at countless events, this seems like a no-brainer for any organization that throws any type of event. The ease of not only checking people in, but also of adding people and changing reservations is a huge advantage over printed Excel lists. It's in the same vein as businesses that use their iPhones as POS systems--another good use of the technology, I think.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny to look at the iPad as a business tool instead of a gaming, social networking toy. Specially given Apple's lack of expertise in this particular field. RIM, recently released their playbook, and it is supposed to be the perfect companion (tablet) for business uses.

    Is Apple's target for the iPad is to move towards the business target? What can they do, given the strong installed base that RIM already has?

    ReplyDelete