Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

AT&T is counting on Microsoft's new Windows Phone 7 devices

AT&T is scrambling to find a new partner since its exclusivity contract with Apple for iphone is set to expire this coming January. What better place to look than a rival?

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 mobile operating system will not use the standard user interface of icons that launch applications, this OS will use dynamic tiles which they hope will be intuitive and easy to use. There will be several functionalities that we are used to: a social networking hub and a camera and some that are more advanced than the usual games on the pc like solitaire. This phone has more advanced gaming options, allowing XBox Live owners to access their accounts as an example.

It will also be more integrated with Office but will oddly not have the copy/ paste function.

Although MS is continually trying to update and improve their phone OS, it is unlikely that they will capture the hearts of iphone or blackberry users, especially with the launch of Android phones.

As an owner of a windows phone, I'm delighted that they are scrapping the old OS, because let me tell you, it has left me disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious - do you (or any other Windows phone users) have any issues with the fact that the new OS won't be backwards compatible with older app software?

    What affect will this have on (1) current users of Windows phones and (2) marketing the phone moving forward (i.e. how often will Microsoft decide to scrap and redesign versus working to make apps backwards compatible?)

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20019207-85.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The current apps are anything that great anyway. I'm anxious to get rid of my phone, which I chose over the other option presented to me because at the time I didn't know one was an Android and mine was Windows. This is my first smart phone and I was looking at the functionality of the mini-keyboard rather than the OS.

    However, since they have an open platform, they are taking advantage of the wisdom of crowds and are attracting a lot of new app developers, which may be to their benefit in the long run. I’m sure there are many frustrated customers like myself who want to chuck their Windows phone for any type of improvement.

    Developers Flock To Turn Out Windows Phone 7 Apps: (http://www.cio-today.com/news/Developers-Crank-Out-Phone-7-Apps/story.xhtml?story_id=0230029FGS9N)

    ReplyDelete