Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Amazon building an Android App store?

Here's an interesting little rumor article I found concerning an Amazon-backed Android App store.

Instead of teaming up with Google, however, it appears that this is more of an alternative to the existing Android app store. Is this surprising to anyone else? I feel a better-checkout system isn't all Amazon is offering...does it believe it can leverage its user base to make a more useful (rating- and review-wise) front end to Android phone apps? Is there something else it can employ which is more alluring to 'droid users?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting find, Sherv... I got a Droid X a few days ago (incredible phone) and I must say, I don't see anything lacking with the current app store. However, I don't know if this play is really about improving the app-buying experience. Let's face it - it's hard to beat Apple's iTunes store. Nonetheless, Amazon managed to chip away at iTunes share of the digital music market, so they're probably looking to do the same here. And I think it's a savvy move. Apps and Mp3s are increasingly like socks and toothpaste - ubiquitous, cheap, substitutable. So it doesn't surprise me that we're moving toward a plethora of vendors, content creators, UI options, etc. This is a good thing; Amazon has the right idea.

    ReplyDelete