Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

iAd to offer legitimate competition to Google's online advertising world


This Spring, Apple released iAd as its attempt to enter the online advertising world-the mobile market in particular. In the US, online advertising has long been Google's little baby despite competition from the newly formed Microsoft/Yahoo deal. In my mind though, as a browsing consumer, I don't consider online display advertising to be particularly effective. Either a pop-up ad appears when I don't mean for it to b/c I accidentally let my mouse pointer roll over a hyperlink, I'm online with a purpose and don't have time to notice what usually end-up being static ads, or I'm online leisurely where nothing successfully captures my attention. As I summize, Google has failed to use me as a marketing statistic to potential advertising customers.

Apple on the other hand, has developed a new mobile advertising platform called iAd. I currently do not own an iPhone, yet Apple's account of the user interaction with the app and iAd supported advertisement promises to be an [optional] rich media experience. Apple suggests there will be quality user-experience control in the ad development, and that the ad should not be in a position to alienate the mobile user. I can't wait to see how this holds true. Nonetheless, iAd developed ads are supposed to communicate more than a simple message/slogan...they are supposed to deliver a unique "branding" experience worthy of the Apple platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment