Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Location-Based Social Networking: A fad or here to stay?

I just read this article comparing Facebook Places to Four Square and it got me thinking...is location-based social networking a fad or is it here to stay?

After seeing the comparisons, it seems that from a business model perspective, Four Square is better equipped to provide value to businesses and therefore monetize this aspect of the application. Facebook Places appears to have more of a social aspect to it and I really don't see it taking off. At some point, I feel people are going to get over this notion of ensuring your friends know where you are at all times. I mean, if they really want to know, they can send you a text message, right?

Certainly, there is some value in the Four Square's ability to provide discounts, but I still have trouble seeing location-based marketing products like this really taking off. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Kyle. I definitely think the whole craze over location based social networking is just a fad that has no longterm value. As a society, I believe that we'll eventually move towards more privatized forms of social networking, that doesn't include displaying our whereabouts on such a public form as Facebook. We'll be able to use our mobiles to track our social networks via GPS and not have to rely on checking into Four Squares to become the mayor of a no-named bar.

    ReplyDelete